Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald (146/365)

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot: Headed to Canada in my parents faux-paneled station wagon, it wasn't difficult to find this song on the radio-dial the Summer of 1976. And that's where I'll always be whenever I hear this, Greg and I sitting so close I could smell his sweet sweat.

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee
The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
When the skies of November turn gloomy
With a load of iron ore twenty-six thousand tons more
Than the Edmund Fitzgerald weighed empty.

2 comments:

waxwing said...

I remember being haunted by this song. I'm glad to see you're still around. I took a long break from both 365 blogs, but I think I'm back. Only one at a time though.

Bridgett said...

Does anyone know where the love of God goes/When the words turn the minutes to hours

It's lovely. And horrible all at once.