Friday, May 11, 2007

Cleaning Windows (97/365)

Cleaning Windows - Van Morrison: Van reveals such an intimate self-portrait. It takes me back to my Rogers Park days, bopping down the street, headed to the Lake to hang-out at the beach. I have a huge crush on this song. There really is no other way to describe it.

I prefer the studio version but here is a sample of it live.

Oh, the smell of the bakery from across the street
Got in my nose
As we carried our ladders down the street
With the wrought-iron gate rows
I went home and listened to Jimmie Rodgers in my lunch-break
Bought five woodbines at the shop on the corner
And went straight back to work.

Oh, Sam was up on top
And I was on the bottom with the v
We went for lemonade and Paris buns
At the shop and broke for tea
I collected from the lady
And I cleaned the fanlight inside-out
I was blowing saxophone on the weekend
In that down joint.

Whats my line?
I'm happy cleaning windows
Take my time
I'll see you when my love grows
Baby don't let it slide
I'm a working man in my prime
Cleaning windows (number a hundred and thirty-six)

I heard Leadbelly and Blind Lemon
On the street where I was born
Sonny Terry, Brownie Mcghee,
Muddy Waters singin' I'm a Rolling Stone
I went home and read my Christmas Humphrey's book on zen
Curiosity Killed the Cat
Kerouac's Dharma Bums and On the Road

Whats my line?
I'm happy cleaning windows
Take my time
Ill see you when my love grows
Baby don't let it slide
I'm a working man in my prime
Cleaning windows...

4 comments:

Susan said...

I never heard this one, but I can see why you like it. I had to scroll down to listen because VM looks so much like someone I know that when I see him I can't help thinking What's he doing up there?? Thanks for providing the lyrics!

Indigo Bunting said...

That was fun.

Helen said...

Liked the song (and oh, to have had a beach to hang out at. We hung out in front of Perrette's, the local convenience store).

Anonymous said...

My "Rogers Park days, bopping down the street, headed to the Lake to hang-out at the beach" songs come from King Crimson's "Beat", Softcell's Tainted Love, and the Talking Heads' "Speaking in Tongues".

What a time it was!!