Thursday, March 8, 2007

Lincoln Park Pirates (33/365)

Lincoln Park Pirates - Steve Goodman: In college, L.P.T.C. would troll our parking lot. This became a sport. I'd see the truck, move the speakers into place and crank-up the volume. Those pirates shot us more than dirty looks. Elizabeth and I would almost pee in our pants from laughing so hard.

We break into cars when we gotta,
With hammer and pickaxe and saw;
And they said this garage had no license;
But little care I for the law!
Our drivers are friendly and courteous;
Their good manners you always will get;
'Cause they all are recent graduates
Of the charm school in Joliet.
To me, way, hey, tow them away,
The Lincoln Park Pirates are we,
From Wilmette to Gary, there's nothin' so hairy
And we always collect our fee!
So it's way, hey, tow 'em away,
We plunder the streets of your town,



3 comments:

Deloney said...

What's LPTC?

Ah, the great Steve Goodman. I believe he wrote a famous train song.

Indigo Bunting said...

Wow. I forgot about this song. But I know it! I think I've only ever heard some friends sing it. Some midwestern friends.

lolololo said...

LPTC is short for the Lincoln Park Towing Company, in which the song is about.
The song he's probably most well known for is the City Of New Orleans.

More importantly he was very influential in getting the folk scence going in Chicago. He's is so missed. Also wrote Dying Cubs Fans Last Request.

I'll try to post a clip.