Tuesday, February 27, 2007

God Bless The Child (24/365)

God Bless The Child - Blood Sweat & Tears: Grew-up with this Billie Holiday/Arthur Herzog song constantly playing on my oldest brother's eight-track player, (actually the entire B,S&T LP). The trombone and alto sax solos set the stage for my later appreciation for jazz. And for a while it was my theme song.

Them that’s got shall get
Them that’s not shall lose
So the Bible said and it still is news
Mama may have, papa may have
But God bless the child that’s got his own
That’s got his own

Yes, the strong gets more
While the weak ones fade
Empty pockets don't ever make the grade
Mama may have, papa may have
But God bless the child that's got his own
That's got his own


5 comments:

Deloney said...

My cousin gave me that album for Christmas one year. I seem to remember a song called "Sometime in Winter"...

mm said...

Great choice, Lisa.

Indigo Bunting said...

Wow, I know the Billie Holiday version, but I didn't know about this cover. I'll have to look it up. Good song.

Otter said...

Well... I've never seen this one in the vinyl collection. Not sure if that's a bad thing...

True fact, I once saw David Clayton-Thomas sing after an O's game in Ballmore about three or four years ago.

Susan said...

Ditto IB.